06/10/2014

About us

Since 1625 , this house has been colecting dreams and desires of his residents. 400 years os stories written in its walls with its silence as the only witness.

Sobre Nosotros

The Stories of the palace.

Since 1625 , this house has been colecting  dreams and desires of his residents. 400 years os stories written in its walls with its silence as the only witness.

The most ancient part of the Casona (where it´s placed the coffe-hall and the dining room) date from 1625. Its first owner was Don Juan Caravera.  A feudal Lord whose lands ocuppied part of the parish. Don Juan was married and he had 3 daughters.

Being in his deathbed and writing with the presence of some witnesses (among others Don Pedro Cangas witness of the Court of the Cangas de Onís Inquisition), his testament, he said that, being his wife pregnant, If she had had a boy, he would be the heir of all his lands and properties and he should look after the best married of his sisters, but if she had had a girl, the properties would be divided in 4 parts to his daughters “the youngest of them should take care of her mother” (acording to the testament provided for Don Pedro Donante  Cangas).

Years later, thar witness called Don Pedro Cangas, claimed representing  Juan Caravera son,  the lands robbed by his sisters “being born male and after served to some masters is the law that he receive the Caravera's  properties as his father wanted with the approve of God”.

We don't know how the trial ends or what happened but Don Pedro Cangas kept the properties of tha Caravera.

From that to 1910, the Cangas modified the architecture of the Quintanta and the dimensions of the properties. The Cangas were moneylenders and they got with a big amount of farms, mills, mountains... The Cangas rised the second phase of the quintana taking advantage of the part that was built and joining the current building of rock that is called “Palacio Viejo” and it today contains the library, the dungeon, kitchens... Its a building in the style of the XVII century, with rectangular floor, natural stone in the four fronts of the building, and a roof on four sides. It is said that this part of the building (where  mowadays “The Dungeon”is placed) it had a tunnel connected with the village's church, but now is covered with stones.

“The Cangas” were important characters in this region. Powerful, rich landowners with important social contacts. Mr Gaspar Melchor de Jovellanos, wrote in his diary in 1970 his visit to the coal's mine of “La Riera” whose owner Don Melchor Cangas invited him to his Libardón's house. Jovellanos wrote: “...accommodation in Canga's house: good house, well supplied...”

The properties of the Cangas were increasing and extended to the asturias western coast. Reaching properties  in Gijón (the lands of current football's Mareo school).

In 1900 when he was 10 years old, Pedro García del Mercado, son of the  palace's landlord, crossed the ocean seeking fortune, as many others in this small village of Libardón, to Argentina. There, after a while and with the effort of first emigrants he got some lands that would be crossed by the railway in the future. Pedro went back then to “La Caravera” and bought the property to the Cangas. Strip off the badge of the front of the building (at the present it is kept in a house in Mareo. Gijón, of a descendent of the Cangas) and modified the Casona again. On the gound floor he built (around 1912) what is called  today “New Palace”, it's built in the style of “palacete de indianos), with stone,  with groung floor and 3 more  and nice galleries pointed to east, south and west that take advantage of the sunlight and where you can enjoy the wonderful view over the valley.

Don Pedro García del Mercado was, there's no doubt about it, a mysterious character for the locals, beeing Libardón a land for audacious people” (how it is written in the parish's badge).Most of them boarded to America since the begining of XX century (this is the reason of the amount of indiano's houses in all the village), they created in Chile a “society of promotion of Libardon” in order to improve the quality of  live standard of the locals and the infrastructure (telephone, water, health system, schools,,,) and there are lots of documents about their activities  and their members (all of them distinguished and wealthy emigrants as  Don Pedro García), is, at least, curious that there is not reference at all in thouse documents to the Palace of La Caravera nor to  Don Pedro García del Mercado. 
Don pedro was married to Doña Luisa Pella Sonzini (Italian in a small village without foreigners). They had four daughters: Maria Luisa, Eloina, María Teresa and  María Amelia.  He was, there's no doubt about it, ahead of his time, not only because the improve of the  infrastructure that he developed in scoring the water, using solar energy… That are still working nowadays but he was vegetarian, he sunbathed naked, his daughters drived their own cars, he had intellectuall friends (writters, painters, studious of alternative medicine…) and, also, his grandson  Pedro  was masón. In his time, the working of the system was adapted to modern times. They grew apples and they  owned one of the two “llagares” (El Llagarón) where they produced  and expoted cider to Latin America. Also, they continued  renting the mills, farming and  ranching.

We  bought this house to one of his grandsons, Pedro Pirez García. He often visit us and we became great friends.

It's a walk for its land's and local's  history.

"There is magic in this house's walls”. It has a big history, and thousands of feet have walked on this wood in other times. Thousands of dreams and happiness between its walls.

What else can we tell you about this house?

 When we found it, was abandoned for 15 years and  covered with weeds that protected it over the time.

I think that it was hidden, waiting for us.

Now we are part of it.

We own it and it own us..

We like it and it like us.

And all of you that will sleep, protecting your dreams behind its walls, are also part of this history that will continue being writing...

Copyright Palacio de Libardon 2017. Developed by MrSoft. Development and Programming.